TOWN OF WEST NEW YORK
Mayor Felix Roque, MD
428 60th Street •West New York, New Jersey 07093
March 1, 2014 Dear Resident,
I want to begin by thanking you for your cooperation and patience during this very difficult winter season. Our Department of Public Works staff has worked very hard to ensure the safety of all motorists and pedestrians.
As the Town of West New York and our nation battle tough economic times, we are thankful to see continued investment in our Town. In my continued commitment to improve your safety and quality of life my administration has implemented many initiatives that I’m proud to share with you in this briefing.
Our work is never done when it comes to public safety. Thanks to the professionalism of our dedicated officers, I am confident that our proactive efforts will continue to keep our families safe and maintain our community’s high quality of life. Below are some of our most recent achievements:
• Three new officers have joined the West New York Police Department and five additional officers are at the police academy and soon will join the department.
• Closing of three illegal gambling establishments
• Continued efforts to further reduce crime as we did in 2013 by 24%.
• The WNYPD received an Outstanding Community Traffic Safety Achievement Award from AAA New Jersey for its
efforts enforcing traffic safety, and the established a community policing team whose members daily interact with business owners and residents daily.
• The Office of Emergency Management plan was updated to ensure emergency preparedness efforts are
appropriately coordinated within the Town and all external partners.
• The WNYPD teamed with the NJ Department of Community Affairs by taking part in “Project Medicine Drop”
which allows residents to safely discard of prescription medication in a drop box located within police headquarters.
As the spring months approach and we look forward to the warm temperatures and the opportunity to enjoy outdoor activities with our family and friends. I am delighted to share the following improvements, upgrades, and remediation projects:
- Road improvement projects on 51st, 60th, 65th, and 66th streets.
- Improvements to Washington Park recreational facilities and new design implementation to better site lighting and security cameras linked to the police station.
• Improvements to Miller Park to include the installation of a large spray park area and various upgrades to the bathroom facilities, lighting and security cameras.
• Remediation and improvements to Veterans Park’s infrastructure, amenities such as outdoor exercise equipment, lighting, landscaping and the installation of security cameras.
Please visit our website at www.westnewyork.org and select “community calendar” to view all upcoming cultural celebrations, and activities. I hope to greet in person at one of the many programs available for all to enjoy!
In closing, I ask all of you to join me in refusing to allow distractions to take us away from the job at hand. I remain confident that this year we can expect to continue seeing ongoing fiscal recovery, reduced crime rates, better schools for our children, a steady stream of capital improvements, and new revenues that will enhance our quality of life.
Together West New York will continue on the rise and moving forward! Remember together we can and West New York will.
Mayor Felix E. Roque, MD.