NORTH BERGEN — On Tuesday, August 5, 2014, neighbors throughout North Bergen are being invited to join forces with thousands of communities nationwide for the 31st Annual National Night Out crime prevention event. Mayor Nick Sacco, Township Commissioners, the North Bergen Police Department and members of the North Bergen Community will join over 37 million others nationwide celebrating National Night Out which is being supported in part by the TARGET Corporation as a national corporate sponsor.
From 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm on August 5, 2014—residents in neighborhoods throughout North Bergen and across the nation are asked to lock their doors, turn on their outside lights, and spend the evening outside with neighbors and the police.
Neighborhoods throughout North Bergen will be hosting block parties, distributing crime prevention information, glow sticks, t-shirts, food, and other giveaways. Each neighborhood will be visited by Mayor Nicholas J. Sacco, Public Safety Commissioner Theresa V. Ferraro, Chief of Police Robert J. Dowd, and many members of the North Bergen Police Department. The block parties will be held at the following locations:
1. 1210 -11th Street, on the John F. Kennedy School Yard.
2. 6121-31 Grand Avenue on the Street in front of Lawler Towers
3. On Broadway Avenue between 73rd and 76th Streets.
National Night Out is designed to:
(1) Heighten crime prevention awareness;
(2) Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime efforts;
(3) Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
(4) Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods in North Bergen are organized and have a heightened sense of awareness.