END OF AN ERA
For the last 100 years the city of Bayonne has been very lucky to have hosted the annual Memorial Day Parade. This event was made possible because of the dedication of all the Veterans Posts, working together under the umbrella organization called the Bayonne Memorial Day Parade Committee. The City supplied financial assistance, while the Veterans organized, and took turns leading the parade.
Unfortunately, Covid 19 caused the cancelation of last year’s parade, and now it has caused the cancelation of this year’s parade. The Veterans population is aging, and this fact has caused the Committee to carefully consider the future of the parade that truly honors the Veterans who have sacrificed and given their lives for their country. The Committee has decided to end the parade since the few Veterans that are still active are not enough to organize the parade and do all that is required to have a parade.
The committee will still decorate Veteran’s Monuments before Memorial Day, and place flags on Veteran’s graves. The following is a list of activities, and we invite the public to join us when they can.
Memorial Day Events
- Wednesday May 26th,11:30 A.M.: Decorate the graves located at IMTT (Veterans Only)
- Wednesday May 26th, Approximately 12:30 P.M.: Decorate Monuments on 1st Street starting with Viet Nam. Veterans Monument and proceeding to the Korean War Monument, World War II Monument, Brady’s Dock and ending at O’Neil’s Point on 8th Street and Broadway.
- Thursday May 27th, 11:00 A.M.: Ceremonies will be held at Holy Name Cemetery in Jersey City.
- Saturday May 29th, at 9A.M., the graves at Bayview Cemetery in Jersey City will be decorated.
- Sunday May 30th at 9:15A.M. Memorial service Our lady of Mt. Carmel Church Bayonne.
- Sunday May 30th, 10:45A.M.: Ceremonies will be held at the Marine Corps monument at the peninsula and the Mayor Donovan Memorial
- Sunday May 30th, 1:15 A.M. Memorial to CMH Stephen Gregg at the Stephen Gregg park, followed by ceremonies at the Doug Lee O’Neil tree, the Hiker Monument, and the GAR monument at 39th St. and Blvd.
- Sunday May 30th, 11:40 A.M. Monument to Living Veterans at Veterans Stadium
- Sunday May 30th, 12:00 P.M. Denis Christian Miranda Monument 23rd and Ave A.
- Sunday May 30th, 12:15 P.M. Marine Corps Memorial in front of St Henry’s church.
- Monday May 31st: 10:00A.M. Memorial Day Parade Committee will hold a Service dedicated to all Deceased Veterans Located at 5th Street and Orient Street.
Do you have a news-tip or want to share a story with us? Please Fill out the following form. Anonymous tips are also welcome.