Mayor Richard F. Turner, the Township Council, and Township Manager Giovanni D. Ahmad are apprising you of the latest developments in our efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
The following instructions are a combination of Governor Murphy’s requests and Executive Order and Weehawken’s Executive Order.
• The Weehawken Township State of Emergency remains in effect until further notice.
• The Governor has discouraged all non-essential and non-emergency travel from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. (except for medical visits and those reporting or returning from work). If you can stay off roads and stay home, we are requesting that you do so.
• The Governor has issued an executive order beginning tonight Monday, March 16, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. and going forward that no restaurant, bar or food establishment may have dine-in customers (no one may eat food inside these establishments) They are limited to pick up and delivery services only. This order remains until further notice.
• The Governor has also ordered that all non-essential businesses must close by 8:00 p.m.. This includes nail salons, hair salons, barbershops, laundromats, and other non-essential retail establishments. This closure time does not apply to restaurants, bars, food establishments, liquor stores, convenience stores, or supermarkets.
• Once again, The Township has imposed a 10:00 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew for Weehawken. Residents are required to stay in their homes at this time, barring emergencies and exempting those reporting or returning from work. This curfew takes effect tonight Monday, March 16th, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. until further notice. This curfew also requires all businesses in Weehawken to close at 10:00 p.m. until further notice.
• The Township has ordered all playgrounds to be closed from Tuesday, March 17th until further notice.
• Additionally, all public and private gyms, fitness centers, swimming pools, and movie theatres are to be closed 24/7, indefinitely until further notice.
The following Township closings remain in effect until further notice:
• Weehawken Township School Board, in connection with School Board President Richard Barsa, School Superintendent Eric Crespo, and Mayor Turner, have already closed all schools in the district. Children will continue to “attend” classes remotely at home.
• The Township has ordered all daycare centers in Weehawken Township to be closed until further notice.
• All Weehawken recreation and senior citizen activities have been suspended until further notice
• All Children and Adult recreation programs have been canceled until further notice.• Weehawken Public Library is closed until further notice
• Weehawken Municipal Court has been closed through at least March 27th.
• The Waterfront Park is closed and will remain closed until further notice.
• The Weehawken Parking Authority is extending expired or about-to-expire parking permits for 30 days. If you have further questions, please contact the Parking Authority at 201-863-1523.
Except for urgent matters, residents are discouraged from visiting Weehawken Town Hall. We encourage residents to reach town hall by calling (201) 319-6005 and make an appointment if needed.
We continue to strongly recommend practicing social distancing (not congregating in large groups, avoiding mass gatherings, and maintaining distances of approximately six feet from others), washing and sanitizing hands frequently, and working from home if able.
Please reference our March 12th 13th and 15th announcements and our March 14th Library announcement on Facebook and Twitter for further details. Please keep in mind that events and regulations are changing daily, and sometimes appear to conflict with each other from various levels of government. We will keep you informed as these changes and clarifications take place on a daily.
Please continue to check on the Township’s Facebook and Twitter pages and the Township website for updates. Should you have any questions, please contact the Township Manager’s Office at (201) 319- 6005 or send us a Direct Message on Facebook or Twitter.