A motor vehicle stop in Bayonne at 10:13 am on Tuesday led police to recover marijuana, drug paraphernalia and a firearm. According to Captain Eric Amato, four men were arrested after police stopped the Infiniti they were driving at a high rate speed near 57th Street and Kennedy Boulevard.
Amato says 19-year old Edwin J. Clarin of W. 65th Street in Guttenberg; 19-year old Demetrius E. Higgins of Grant Avenue in Jersey City, who was driving; 20-year old Rashaad D. Critten of Carteret Avenue in Jersey City; and 20-year old Latrell Gonzalez of Terrace Avenue in Jersey City were pulled over by an officer. Higgins immediately got out of the car and began screaming at the police officer.
The officer then asked the other three occupants to exit the vehicle when he smelled a strong marijuana odor coming from inside the car. A search led to the discovery of 102.9 grams of marijuana and synthetic marijuana, plus narcotic paraphernalia and more than $1,600 in suspected drug proceeds.
A further search of the car resulted in the recovery of a loaded, .38 caliber handgun. Further investigation determined the gun had been stolen from Indiana.
All four suspects have been charged with:
- receiving stolen property
- possession of marijuana
- possession with intent to distribute
- possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school
- possession of narcotic paraphernalia with intent to distribute
- possession of a firearm during a CDS offense
- unlawful firearms’ possession
- and, possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose