24-year old Lionel N. Peterson of Avenue C in Bayonne was arrested by Bayonne Police on Thursday, November 3 for numerous weapons possession and drug possession violations. According to Captain Eric Amato, Peterson was taken into custody at 2:12 pm from rear lot of the ShopRite at 583 Avenue C.
Amato says detectives in the area of 18th Street and Avenue C observed a vehicle, later determined to be operated by Peterson, commit numerous traffic violations. The detectives followed the vehicle and conducted a motor vehicle stop in the rear lot of 583 Avenue C. During the investigation, detectives observed a bottle of a liquid prescription legend drug bearing no label.
As the investigation continued, narcotics paraphernalia, an additional bottle of the same prescription drug, and a .38 caliber semiautomatic handgun, loaded with 7 rounds (6 hollow point bullets and 1 full metal jacket bullet) were also recovered from the vehicle.
Peterson has been charged with the following:
- Possession of a Firearm – Committing Drug Offense
- Possession of a Firearm for an Unlawful Purpose
- Unlawful Possession of a Handgun
- Possession of Hollow Point Bullets
- Possession of PLD with Intent to Distribute
- Possession of Controlled Dangerous Substance
- Possession of Controlled Dangerous Substance with Intent to Distribute within 500 feet of Public Housing
- Possession of Controlled Dangerous Substance with Intent to Distribute within 1,000 feet of a School
- Possession of Narcotics Paraphernalia