Photo Credit: MVMK Architecture & Design Terrapin Approved Locally for Hoboken Medical Marijuana Dispensary
Planning Board Last Step in Local Process Before State Approval of 2019 ATC Application
HOBOKEN, NJ — Oct. 12, 2021 — Terrapin recently received historic approval by Hoboken officials to open a medical marijuana dispensary in the city, paving the way for state licensure.
The Hoboken Planning Board last Tuesday approved Terrapin to open a medical marijuana dispensary at 86 River St. The approval concluded four years of local outreach to the Hoboken community as part of a medical marijuana licensing process. Local zoning and review board approvals are necessary in order to open a medical marijuana dispensary under Hoboken’s ordinances. With the local approvals out of the way, Terrapin is poised to open a dispensary in Hoboken, pending state approval.
“We are thrilled to be moving forward with our plans to bring critical cannabis medicine to patients in New Jersey,” said Chris Woods, owner and CEO of Terrapin. “We are thankful to our partners in the Hoboken community for patiently supporting us with open arms. Despite delays to the licensing process, Terrapin has never wavered in its commitment to serving patients in North Jersey. We look forward to serving the community as responsible corporate citizens in meeting the demands of cannabis patients, while leaving a positive community impact.”
Terrapin applied for a medical cannabis license to open an Alternative Treatment Center (ATC) in Hoboken as part of the state’s 2019 licensing process. Delays stemming from lawsuits prevented regulators from announcing those awards. An announcement of winners from the 2019 licensing round could come as early as this week. Following approval on Oct. 5 by the Hoboken Planning Board, Terrapin is positioned to quickly open an ATC upon certification by the New Jersey Department of Health.
“Terrapin’s commitment to our community and the patients of New Jersey has been impressive,” said Joseph Castelo, a long-time high-profile Hoboken resident who partnered with Terrapin on opening the ATC. Castelo is a filmmaker and the co-owner of Antique Bar and Bakery, a popular Hoboken restaurant. He partnered with Terrapin because of the company’s commitment to giving back to the Hoboken community.
“Terrapin’s culture aligns strongly with our passion for serving the local community,” Castelo continued. “From nonprofit outreach to creating affordable access for patients who benefit from medical cannabis, Terrapin has expressed a commitment to develop a long relationship with the Hoboken community.”
As part of its commitment to local North Jersey communities, Terrapin has identified several nonprofits and organizations to work with to create a beneficial footprint for its neighbors. Much of the focus is on diversity in workforce and economic development.
Nonprofits and organizations Terrapin partnered with include:
- WomenRising, a Jersey City-based nonprofit that assists women and families in North Jersey with counseling, economic development and advocacy. Terrapin has pledged to assist in creating an employment pipeline by connecting WomenRising alumni to potential employment opportunities within Terrapin. Terrapin also has pledged financial support to the organization.
- Oasis, A Haven for Women and Children. The Paterson organization’s mission is to change the lives of women and children by breaking the cycle of poverty through compassionate programs designed to feed, clothe, educate and empower women and children in need. Terrapin will work on an employment pipeline with the organization, while providing volunteers in the form of directors to develop mentorships and training.
- Project Help, a group dedicated to serving homeless veterans in northern New Jersey. The nonprofit has been able to expand services to include financial support and legal assistance. One initiative Terrapin has pledged to support is to assist veterans suffering from PTSD. There has been a strong nexus between medical cannabis legalization and assisting veterans, and Terrapin would like to see that momentum grow. Terrapin helped to launch VetForce in Pennsylvania, a security firm for the cannabis industry. Terrapin has plans to assist with a similar program in New Jersey where veterans run security for the cannabis industry.
- Hudson Pride Center, the LGBTQ+ Community Center for Hudson County. Hudson Pride offers a variety of health, support and social services to the LGBTQ+ community. Hudson County has the largest LGBTQ+ population in the State of New Jersey and Terrapin has long stood as an ally to this community. We will work to educate the local community about the medical efficacy of cannabis, especially for conditions that might be relevant to the LGBTQ+ community, like anxiety and HIV/AIDS. Terrapin will also work with the group on a jobs pipeline.
Founded in Boulder, Colo. in 2009 as one of the first licensed medical marijuana providers in the country, Terrapin has led the industry as a pioneer. Expanding to New Jersey serves as a homecoming for founder Chris Woods, whose family resides in the state. What started as a one-man business in an office park in South Boulder has blossomed into a national company with more than 400 employees.
Terrapin operates six dispensaries and four cultivation/processing facilities in Colorado. In addition to its Colorado operations, Terrapin operates a licensed grower/processor medical marijuana facility in Clinton County, Pennsylvania and in Grand Rapids, Mich. Terrapin also recently launched medical cannabis cultivation operations in Kansas City, Missouri.
“We have a proven track record that ensures that we will fit in with the fabric of the community,” Woods said. “The relationships we have developed with the community allow us to serve as a responsible partner who is invested in the future of Hoboken and North Jersey.”
Terrapin has plans to serve as a medical-focused provider of high-quality medical cannabis products in Hoboken, NJ. Founded in Boulder, Colorado in 2009 as Terrapin Care Station, the company has six storefronts on Colorado’s Front Range and it is a medical marijuana grower/processor in Clinton County, Pa. and in Grand Rapids, Mich. Terrapin recently launched medical cannabis cultivation operations in Kansas City, Missouri. With more than 400 employees, Terrapin is a minority-owned business committed to equity and social justice. We plant local roots. For more information, visit Terrapin.co, or TerrapinCareStation.com.
HUDSON TV CONTEST READ BELOW
EARN $$$ WITH YOUR PHOTOS OR VIDEOS
Once a month, Starting Jan 1st, 2022, We will be giving away up to $300.00 dollars for photos or videos of breaking news that get the most engagement on our Social Media pages.
To Participate, Please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number, and photos or videos of breaking news with a brief description of the location and time taken.
Please note the following:
- You must own the content.
- Photos or Videos published on social media pages or any other news outlets, DO NOT qualify.
Good luck to All.