Shutterstock

A tragedy was averted, but criminal charges have been filed, after a one year old baby boy accidentally ingested a marijuana gummy in a Secaucus motel room this week.  The incident took place at the Extended Stay America on Meadowlands Parkway.

Secaucus Police Chief Dennis Miller told Hud News in a email this afternoon, “A 1 year old was found to have ingested a cannabis edible gummy while within the hotel room on 1/18/24.  The child was brought to Hudson Regional Hospital and later transferred to Hackensack hospital for care.  As of today the child is alert and responsive.  The 17 year old juvenile mother and her adult boyfriend were arrested and each charged  with Endangering the Welfare of a Child.  Both were released on a summons and pending their appearance in Court, pursuant to criminal justice reform.”

NJ.com was first to report the incident, saying the baby had lost consciousness, prompting a call to 911.