Health Advisory & Campus Update
Updated March 23, 2020, 7:40 PM
To: The Stevens Community
From: Marybeth Murphy, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
Date: March 23, 2020
Subject: Health Advisory: Second Confirmed COVID-19 Case at Stevens
The university has learned that a Stevens staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. Our best information at this time is that the individual was last on campus on Friday, March 13th and became symptomatic on Wednesday, March 18th. The latest and best guidance we have from the Health Department is that individuals are contagious for three days before symptoms appear.
In accordance with guidelines from health agencies and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the individual is self-isolating at home. To remain in compliance with privacy regulations, we are unable to provide the identity of the individual.
The best information we can share at this time is that the individual was primarily in the Ruesterholz Admissions Center from Monday, March 9th through Friday, March 13th and the only other location that the individual visited on campus was the Howe Center on Monday, March 9th and Tuesday, March 10th.
Steps Stevens Has Taken
- Stevens has notified the Hoboken Health Department. We anticipate that representatives of relevant health agencies will follow their established protocols, and Stevens stands ready to assist them with their investigations and notifications.
- Based on guidance from the Hoboken Health Department, Stevens has notified staff members in the Ruesterholz Admissions Center and instructed them to self-isolate immediately through at least Friday, March 27th, 2020 . If they experience any COVID-19 symptoms, they should contact their healthcare professional and report that they may have had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Today, Stevens has closed and is thoroughly disinfecting the Ruesterholz Admissions Center. The building may only be accessed by Stevens Police and the cleaning crew.
- Stevens is in the process of notifying those who may have had contact with this staff member and will recommend that they monitor their health and if they experience any COVID-19 symptoms, to contact their healthcare professional and report that they may have had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- We urge all members of the Stevens community to take the following precautions:
- If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms, contact your healthcare professional for advice. You may also call the 24-hour public hotline maintained by the N.J. Department of Health: 800.222.1222.
- Practice self-isolation and social distancing.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, please immediately contact Stevens Student Health Services at 201-216-5678 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the increased availability of testing and the spread of the virus in Hoboken as well as the surrounding communities, the CDC and government officials have warned us to expect more cases in our community. It is our hope that the measures put in place previously to slow the spread of COVID-19, will provide some protection for our community and the surrounding communities.
We are keeping those suffering from COVID-19 in our thoughts and hoping for a swift and complete recovery.
As always, the most up to date information is available on the Stevens COVID-19 website.
Thank you for your attention to this important information.