The Weehawken Board of Education has announced it is going to open the school year virtually on September 10, which is a change from its earlier decision.
In a letter to parents dated August 26, Superintendent of Schools Eric Crespo wrote, “After much consideration and thought, we have decided to temporarily postpone the face-to-face hybrid opening of our district. We have listened to concerns and feedback from all of you, our staff, and the community, and we have made the difficult decision to remotely open the Weehawken Public Schools and postpone in-person learning for a few weeks.”
The Superintendent went on to say, “This additional time will allow our faculty and staff to proceed in this new world with confidence before we open our doors to our students. While teaching from inside our school buildings and classrooms, teachers will be able to acclimate to the new environment, simulate and practice new protocols and ensure that all procedures will be refined by the time students arrive. Schools will open in a staggered manner which will allow us to mobilize staff and resources to each building during the openings, ensuring that all students return to school in the safest manner
Currently, the plan will follow the following schedule, with buildings opening in a half-day, hybrid setting:
● DWS students enrolled in the hybrid schedule A will begin in-person September 28.
● DWS students enrolled in the hybrid schedule Z will begin in-person September 30.
● TRS students enrolled in hybrid schedule A will begin in-person October 5.
● TRS students enrolled in hybrid schedule Z will begin in-person October 7.
● WHS students enrolled in hybrid schedule A will begin in-person October 13.
● WHS students enrolled in hybrid schedule Z will begin in-person October 14.
● Students registered for the full-remote option will continue remote instruction.
The District will continue to monitor the situation and keep the community informed of any further changes.
Do you have a news-tip or want to share a story with us? Please Fill out the following form. Anonymous tips are also welcome.